From 2013 we have received funding for Sports and PE from the Government. This year it will total £16,290 for Burnsall. This money is ring fenced.
As in previous years this money is being used to improve the children’s level of participation in sports/outside activities and our sports provision. Key achievements for last year:
- Quality first specialist PE teacher teaches PE to all pupils once a week. Children have opportunity to access PE lessons with peers their own age once a week ensuring that level of competition and skill development is age appropriate and challenging.
- All key stage two pupils have access to swimming lessons once a fortnight, taught by a qualified swimming instructor. Pupils have opportunity to access swimming with peers their own age.
- Pupils have access to a playground and grassed spaces. In the playground, there is a shed which houses sporting equipment that pupils have access to during break times. The school also has access to a large field, which is used during the spring and summer time.
- The outdoor learning area in Class 1 has been improved so that it is safe for children to use. It promotes active, outdoor learning and is in keeping with the holistic ethos of the school.
- Increased knowledge and skill of higher level teaching assistants as a result of support and mentoring from PE specialist
- Pupils at Burnsall have access to an after school yoga club once a week, ran by a Yoga specialist instructor. Another after school sports provision within the Upper Wharfedale Primary Federation (at a different school) is also offered in the form of a sports club.
- Good level of participation in competitive sporting events organised within the Upper Wharfedale schools sport partnership, especially those taking place within the school day.
- New resources and equipment to facilitate the teaching and learning of PE.